Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Using arch for offline development

From: Andrzej Wasowski
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Using arch for offline development
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 09:02:45 +0200

Matthieu Moy <address@hidden> writes:

> ... Therefore, you could have a script to sync the mirrors, delete the
> =mirror file  on one machine  and create it  on the other.  That would
> allow you to swap mirror and archive easily.
>
> Call that  script before going  offline, and the oposite  script after
> comming back online.

That  is really  a  nice suggestion.  Then  I seem  to  get exactly  the
functionality I  need. Well ... at  least as long  as I am a  single guy
using the  archives. But if  this ever changes  I guess I just  need yet
another  central archive  for  the multi-developer  project  and use  my
local-remote pair for my own branches. This seems ok.

There will be some hassle to deal with the fact that ip/dns name of my
laptop is completely dynamic, depending on where I am connected.

[apologies for verbosity but I am new to tla]
I imagine that normal operation would be, when I go online:

1. tell the remote archive what is it actually mirroring (bcs the IP/name
   most likely has changed since then). How I do that?
2. do archive-merge on the remote machine
3. swap mirror withmain copy (by means of rm/touch =mirror), so that
   local is mirror.
4. change my current (local) archive to remote and voila.

The actions on offline would be:

1. archive-merge on the local machine (fortunately the remote archive
   has a static name).
2. swap mirror with main so that local is main.
3. change my current (local) archive to local and voila

Can  anybody  experienced  with  tla  confirm  that  this  is  the  most
straightforward sequence?  Do you think  it is of wider  interest? (like
worth including on wiki?)

Andrzej