Re: [Gnu-arch-users] "tla commit" generates a patch-set even if there ar

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] "tla commit" generates a patch-set even if there are no changes
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 08:07:38 -0400

Jani Monoses wrote:
Perhaps you could explain why the defaults are unwise? What's the harm in an accidental empty commit, aside from a little embarassment?

confusion of new users and mails to gau resulting in wasted time overall.

Oh, I'd agree that it might be "surprising" or "annoying", but "unwise" seemed a bit strong to me.

Since tla witll never be very user-friendly anyway, I'd like to to at least be scriptable. I've got a whole whack of scripts that make tla more friendly, but changing the behavior of tla like this means modifying those scripts.

I just recently had to fix a script that used to work fine, because James fixed tla's "delta" command to take a "--diffs" option in place of its former "--report" option.

thought it was a bug too and wrote to the list a couple month ago. From the
answers I understood there are valid situations when you would use this but
they are less frequent as accidental empty commits.

In my experience, there are more deliberate empty commits than accidental ones.

If you don't want them, you can stop them from happening. Please don't force your preferences on me.

Aaron