[Gnu-arch-users] Descriptive tags

From: Matthew Palmer
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Descriptive tags
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 22:04:04 +1000

I'm in the process of doing my first release out of an Arch repository, and
coming up against "concept barriers" in my CVS->Arch mental transition.

With CVS, when making a release I'd tag all files at the current revision
and say "that's my RELEASE_1_2_3", so I'd know that's release version 1.2.3.

>From what I can tell with arch, there's no real way of making up names as I
go along for tags.  I've got the concept of commit branches and tag
branches, and that's good as far as it goes, but I'd really like to be able
to say to Arch directly "give me my X.Y.Z release".

It's probably a conceptual problem, as I said, in the "how we make releases"
story, but I'm stumped, and I can't find anything in the Arch tutorial
(which, up 'til now, has pretty much answered all my questions).

Any guidance greatly appreciated.

- Matt