Re: [Gnu-arch-users] "tla commit" generates a patch-set even if there ar

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] "tla commit" generates a patch-set even if there are no changes
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 20:54:05 -0400

On Fri, May 14, 2004 at 08:14:07PM -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> >> For scripts, you'd want to use
> >> `tla changes -o foo', then check whether `foo' is empty, and if not
> >> do `tla commit foo'.  Or something along those lines.
> > For scripts, you should use `tla changes -q', and check the exit status.
>
> But that means in the common case, you do `tla changes -q' and then `tla
> commit': overall you do 2 full traversal of your tree, thus you just slowed
> down this operation by a factor of 2.  I already find it to be les than
> speed of light, so I'd rather avoid an aditional factor of 2 just to detect
> the rare case where there were no changes made.

I fully agree -- I'm on the `commit should default to no empty changesets'
side, remember?

I'm just saying that if you _do_ do that check, use -q.

I will note that in scripts, I think I'd often have to do the `changes -q'
check anyway, because I need to make the commit/no-commit decision before the
point of actually doing the commit.

-Miles
--
Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it
has to be us.  -- Jerry Garcia