[Gnu-arch-users] Re: tla configurations and recursive commands.

From: John F Meinel Jr
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tla configurations and recursive commands.
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 19:30:26 -0500

I think a new "tlaconfig" program would be in order.
It would behave "like tla" except it would consider a config similarly to
a (large) tree.

I have a few minor local changes to tla and find it very inconvenient to
maintain them because I have to use the `tla inventory --trees' stuff all
the time and that doesn't react to changes to the config (so I stayed at
1.2 for a while).

       Stefan
Personally, I wrote a python script. It basically just recurses through the directories and calls tla with the supplied arguments whenever it finds an {arch} directory. It is a little bit smart so that it doesn't run in directories that are likely to be bad (sub-dirs of a ,,get*, or ,,commit*). The one thing this handles that configs don't is if you add directories that aren't in the config. You can argue whether this is good or bad, but it's what I do. It works well for changes, and possibly commit, and certainly replay. I haven't really tried it with anything else (like branching or star-merge.) I'm starting to switch over to aba, though, since it supports a little bit more. So maybe there needs to be an "aba recurse" command or maybe just "aba apply-to-config".
John
=:->