[Gnu-arch-users] Re: arch on mac osX and windows

From: Greek0
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: arch on mac osX and windows
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 08:56:45 +0200

On Tue, 18 May 2004 10:23:31 +0200 (CEST)
Karel Gardas <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Tue, 18 May 2004, Greek0 wrote:
>
> > As said before, only revlibs/prestines and perhaps cached revs (I've
> > not used them by now) cause problems. So my current setup is this:
> > Linux in vmWare, greedy revlib in my ~, archive in my ~, working
> > tree (without pristine) on NTFS, accessed over the vmware file
> > sharing stuff.
>
> I'm afraid that you are not right. You can very easily end with very
> long path even inside your working tree in {arch} directory, i.e.
> longer than supported 255 chars. Or is this problem already solved?

No, not easily. Perhaps I should have stated it better.
The keyword here is _without pristine_. You have to use the
--no-pristine option to get. That way no pristine (which includes the
long paths) is created, and only the revlib (on the linux box) is used.
You'd better have a greedy revlib setup, otherwise your commands will
take forever, since the reference version has to be rebuilt every time.
Of course it's theoretically possible to still create dirs longer than
255 chars, but it's damn hard. My longest directory name is:
D:address@hidden
-log
(76 chars).

As you see there's plenty of room. You don't even have to pay attention
to use extra-short archive and c--b--v names. So in my book it's the way
to go (apart from SFU, which I completely forgot :-/) if it is an easy
option for you.

Cheers,
Greek0