Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: category version limited to digits and dots

From: Milan Cvetkovic
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: category version limited to digits and dots
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 17:41:38 -0400

I appologize if I am repeating myself, but somehow I feel that people are misunderstanding what I initially wanted, and its value.

When I look at someone's archive, including mine, the first thing I do is "tla abrowse" with no parameters at all. This prints out the archive, sorted by three components cat/branch/ver.

I do not like the fact that I would see branches for different releases intermingled together. This is why I wanted to use the middle field as the version and the last component as the branch name - so it would be "proj/ver/branch.

To ilustrate my point, I included partial content of address@hidden archive - parts related to "tla" (no offense here, I am not saying that there is anything wrong with organization of this archive, I just want to ilustrate how I would like to be able to organize mine).

One file is partial output of "tla abrowse address@hidden"
The other file is what I would prefer to see (and have in archive!).
( I hope attachments make it to the list :-) )

Why do I prefer it this way?
- I have bugs to fix
- I have features to add.

For each of bugs/features I would add a branch, for and only for the release where it aplies. I would have many branches, but they would only show up in the output for applicable version (and nested accordingly).

The truth is that abrowse with limit and rbrowse with regex would potentialy give me the output that I want, but the things are *not* organized that way in the archive itself, and I don't like that... and I cannot organize the archive "my way" because of this limitation :-(

I was looking into removing this limitation, and wanted to know what the real reasons behind it were, to assess the chances of my patch ever going through. I hope I did explain what I wanted - but if there is no will in the community for this patch, I wouldn't do it...

Regards, Milan.

James Blackwell wrote:
In lists.arch.users, you wrote:

So, I want to say "lets see all the branches project release v1"

$ tla abrowse project--v1
  project
    project--v1-release
      project--v1-release--1.0
      project--v1-release--1.1

but wait, I didn't want v1.1 - I only wanted v1 !

Does "tla rbrowse project--v1-" do it for you? (A more exact regex would
be "tla rbrowse ^project--v1-.*")

Now if I do:
tla abrowse, I would like to group branches related to devo-3.0 or stable-2.0. Nobody is interested any more for 1.0 and its patches - it is in the archive for historical reasons.

"tla rbrowse --devo-3\.0--", "tla rbrowse --stable-2\.0"

Rbrowse was built to solve *exactly* these sorts of problems. ;)