Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tla-update-ids lacks support for filenames with

From: chth
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tla-update-ids lacks support for filenames with spaces
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 18:39:33 +0200

> > > which is not| happy.
> > >
> > > Perhaps adding a 'tla escape --pipe' or similar would solve this?
> >
> > That also sounds messy to deal with, at least for me -- both reading
> > _and_ writing to a subprocess via pipes is traditionally not easy to
> > do.

I first thought about such a --pipe option but dropped the idea because:
1) it cant handle escaped newlines in a trivial way
2) adding persistence to only a single unimportant tla comand is
bullshit, we shall head for a persistent tla with a REPL instead.

> Eh? I can't speak for your favored scripting tools, but Python's
> Popen3 class (in the popen2 module) makes it trivial.

Not only Python, any language which has some kind of popen semantic :)
... but you still have the newline problems.

> I'd like to have this facility available for those of us who *do* use
> toolage that can take easy advantage of it, even if that's not quite
> everyone.

My conclusion is that you might use it as it is currently and wait until
we have a *much* better solution (the REPL) than adding half baked cruft
now.

        Cheers
                Christian

PS: I am on vacation for 2 week from tomorrow on, if anyone bothers.