Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: [BUG] feature plan -- Selected inventory

From: Jean Helou
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: [BUG] feature plan -- Selected inventory
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 11:19:17 +0200

Stefan Monnier a écrit :

[snipped]

There is no fundamental technical reason why Arch needs a full inventory
here.  I understand it's probably due to the need to keep the code clean
and simple, but I think it's a serious problem so it might be worth it to
try and find a way to solve the problem while keeping the code clean (tho
maybe less simple).  The reason why I think it's a serious problem is that
project sizes tend to grow pretty fast, so it's not going to disappear any
time soon.

I would say that file renaming/move detection seems a good fundamental technical reason for this isn't it ? Trying to improve the speed of a full inventory could be a good thing, however I recall that there have already been patches to do just that. I don't know if they are merged yet. Maybe trying to think of a caching method could help a bit more ...

jean