[Gnu-arch-users] Re: [MERGE REQUEST] changeset translation preparatory w

From: Greek0
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: [MERGE REQUEST] changeset translation preparatory work
Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 10:36:11 +0200

On Sun, 30 May 2004 23:08:06 +1000
Jamie Wilkinson <address@hidden> wrote:

> I'd say the neatest way to do it is with a query subcommand to tla
> that would return the value of the key one is interested in, i.e.:
>
>   tla query magic-directory-name

Yes.

> I'm still not seeing why yourself and Miles are so defensive of the
> name'{arch}' appearing in my working copies.

Because it will break scripts. Using the tla commands to get information
from {arch} doesn't give you access to all parameters, and it's slow. So
some scripts work in {arch} by themself. So they will badly break.

The change might make tla more complicated. This seems to bother Miles,
I can't say too much about it, since I haven't done any hacking on arch
yet.

And none of the newbies who dislikes tla because of its weird
file/directory names will profit from the change, if it's not made the
default. Most newbies seem to have enough to do with lerning how to use
tla in general, so I doubt they will even find this feature. [Of course
I've got absolutely no data to back this up, but I really think I'm not
too wrong here]. It somehow reminds me of branchless versions. They were
introduced, they are not the default, and I guess most newbies don't
even know they even exist.
So, I'd be advocating for making it the default if it's introduced, but
I guess I'm quite alone on that position.

Don't get me wrong. I'd really like to see the change, but together with
all the other incompatible changes that have queued up. But somehow
noone wants to talk about the others just now.

Cheers,
Greek0