Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [MERGE REQUEST] changeset translation preparatory w

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [MERGE REQUEST] changeset translation preparatory work
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 22:50:50 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: Colin Walters <address@hidden>

    > 1) Every time I have to quote a { or =, I get very annoyed.

And everybody here agrees that you should.  But that isn't the
question.

The question is: at _what_ should you be annoyed?  Is it tla?  Your
shell?  That you haven't installed this or that shell configuration
file?

Your answer appears to be "at tla" --- you'll be annoyed at tla for
using those characters rather than your shell for not handling them
gracefully.

    > I've been using and contributing to arch for almost a year now,
    > and the { and =3D still irritate me a lot.  I kept expecting
    > that to go away, but it hasn't.  I've talked to a number of
    > other hackers who feel the same way.

During that time I've _tried_ to encourage you to look at this a
little bit differently but so far not succeeded.  I'll try again.

Look at it this way:  it turns out that your shell has a bug.   There
are certain perfectly legitimate, perfectly legal filenames that, if
actually used, cause your shell to spazz.

What's to do about this?  You describe yourself and the others you
cite making a similar complaint as "hackers".  I believe you.  Hackers
would respond to this annoyance by fixing it --- fix your damn shell.
So, that's what you should do.