Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Fixing a log message post hoc

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Fixing a log message post hoc
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2004 10:24:39 -0400

Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:
Is there any way I can fix a typo in a log message?

CW> You can never change history.

In Soviet Russia...

CW> The longer answer is: If your real archive is private, and you later
CW> mirror it publicly, you can modify the log in your archive, and update
CW> your working copies, purge your revision libraries, etc.

The archive is public.  I only want to change the summary of a single
patch.  I'm willing to accept that the mirrors won't get the fix, I
just want my main archive to be fixed.

The typo annoys me every time I see it, which is surprisingly often.
If you don't tell me how to fix it, I'll sue you for my stomach ulcer ;-)

Shooting from the hip here, so don't blame me if this doesn't work...

Since revisions are stored as changes from the original, the only revision you'll need to change is the one where it was added.

Delete all revisions containing the log from your revlib.
Delete all cacherevs containing the log
Delete all working trees containing the log (especially the pristines)
Untar the changeset, alter the log (It'll be in an obviously-named directory.) Copy the changed log to the outside-changeset copy of the log. Tar up the changeset and replace the old one, being sure to generate a new checksum file. (by hand)

Changing history is usually a really bad idea, so I'd advise against this on general principles. However, I believe the above instructions would work.

Aaron

--
Aaron Bentley
Director of Technology