Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Extracting a standard diff

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Extracting a standard diff
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 19:45:54 -0400

On Mon, Jun 14, 2004 at 12:43:02PM +0100, Jacob Gorm Hansen wrote:
> If you mean the permission changes etc. at the beginning, I think it should
> be possible to disable it. Often there is a human filter sitting in front of
> 'patch', and often that human is one that you wish not to annoy with (to
> him/her) meaningless junk, as doing so will lessen the changes of getting
> your patch applied at all.

I disagree.  The sort of fairly concise summary info that tla puts at the
beginning is arguably going to make people _more_ likely to apply your patch,
because it gives a good, but not overly verbose, summary of the patch that
follows.

People dislike wading through tons of random crap to be sure -- but the
changeset summary is most definitely not crap, and there's not tons of it.

[Note, for instance that the most popular format used for posting patches to
the LKML actually _adds_ just such an overview header to the patch (produced
by the `diffstat' program)]

-Miles
--
We live, as we dream -- alone....