Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Online book for usability

From: Juliusz Chroboczek
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Online book for usability
Date: 24 Jun 2004 21:38:44 +0200

>> That is the reason why untagged-source files are now "precious" instead
>> of "unrecognized". We may know that it is better to have
>> "untagged-source unrecognized" because it catches mistakes, but many
>> users just expect "untagged-source precious".

TL> That particular change to "precious" rather than "unrecognized" was
TL> probably a mistake.

Could people please explain whence that feeling that building in your
working tree is sinful?

In my mind, workdirs are cheap, archives are expensive.  I usually
have quite a few working directories around, each of which goes the
way of rm -rf after a few days.  I naturally do my builds in them, and
it annoys me to no end that I have to make clean before committing.

Out of tree builds?  How do you do that in a Makefile with both
explicit and implicit rules that is meant to be portable between BSD
and SVR4?

(Extra points if you can tell me how to do something similar in Common
Lisp in a manner that is portable between implementations.)

                                        Juliusz