Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Online book for usability

From: Matthew Palmer
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Online book for usability
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 17:49:32 +1000

On Thu, Jun 24, 2004 at 05:37:36PM -0400, Adrian Irving-Beer wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 24, 2004 at 01:18:45PM -0700, Pierce T.Wetter III wrote:
>
> > In CVS, while you can, you don't have to type:
> >
> >  -d :ext:address@hidden:/Repository
> >
> >  in front of every command. So the CVS tutorials all omit that
> >  stuff, for the benefit of the tutorial.
>
> Speaking of which...
>
> Is there anything preventing[1] arch from having a CVSROOT-like
> environment variable to override all assumptions based on 'my-default-
> archive'?

my-default-archive is merely an arch-internal CVSROOT equivalent.

What I'd really like, instead of that, is aliases for archives.  Add an
--alias option to register-archive, which allows you to specify an alias
name.  For simplicity, aliases probably shouldn't be allowed to be valid
archive names.

I'm quite sure I'm not the only one that would find this useful.  Specifying
an archive by it's full name is an RSI-inducing experience.  Of course, it
can be simulated with environment vars, but I think it'd be worth including.
After all, most Arch operations could be done with a handful of commands --
the rest is just cream...

- Matt