Re: [Gnu-arch-users] inode signature problem plague

From: Robert Anderson
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] inode signature problem plague
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 16:20:58 -0500

--- Original Message ---
From: Aaron Bentley <address@hidden>
To: Robert Anderson <address@hidden>
CC: address@hidden

>Robert Anderson wrote:
>> Almost every day I get errors that look something like this:
>>
>> corrupt library (failed inode signature validation)
>>     archive: [archive]
>>     revision: [revision]
>> You should remove this revision from your library.
>
>> What causes this,
>
>What causes it is that remounting your NFS filesystems changes
their
>device numbers.  Since device numbers are part of an inode
signature,
>validation fails when the number changes.  Tom intends to fix this.
>
> > and how do I work around it?
>
>Don't store reference trees on NFS.

Not an option.  My workplace is ubiquitously NFS'ed.

>If you feel like taking your life in your hands

I don't.

>> Yes, I work
>> across NFS and this is not going to change.
>
>Well, I guess you could try to find another NFS implementation that
>doesn't change the device number.

No, I can't.

This is a pretty bad situation for me.  I made the executive
decision to impose arch on a number of developers (and growing
due to spin-off projects), and they are none too happy about this
latest problem which transcends "minor wart" into, as far as they
are concerned, "this thing is just broken" territory.

If fixing this problem is possible in a day or two's work, I am
willing to help fix it, but I will need a lot of guidance.

Bob