Re: [Gnu-arch-users] arch roadmap 1 (and "what's tom up to")

From: Colin Walters
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] arch roadmap 1 (and "what's tom up to")
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2004 22:53:29 -0400

On Tue, 2004-07-06 at 19:51 -0700, Tom Lord wrote:

>     > Specifically for the above: Why would we need an *alternative* to .arch-
>     > inventory files?  They solve an existing problem quite well.
>
> They don't solve things like file-type-specific diff and merge methods.

This could look something like:

diff ^.+\.xml$ my-xml-diff

>     > The only other actual example of where you think Furth would be useful
>     > in tla that I've gleaned from this thread is "project-specific" rules.
>     > My answer to that is: "exec".  You have yet to rebut that.
>
> Exec is a kind of expensive function call with limited expressiveness.
> Saying "exec" fails to say what is execed or how it interacts with the
> state of the parent process.   I'm not sure you've said anything
> specific enough to rebut.

Of course, we would have to examine detailed (preferably real-world)
problem descriptions and attempt to evaluate what a specific solution
would look like.  This is what we should have been doing from the first,
instead of deciding that a VM is needed and then looking for nails to
hit with it...