Re: [Gnu-arch-users] register-archive / tutorial

From: Robert Collins
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] register-archive / tutorial
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 13:39:43 +1000

On Sat, 2004-07-10 at 10:39, Jeremy Shaw wrote:
> (2) I (or someone else) could modify register-archive
>
> It is my understanding that having to specify the archive name is
> largely a leftover artifact from when tla could not figure the name
> out automatically. So I see three possible 'fixes'.

Your understanding is incomplete. Arbitrary archive registrations are
used in mirroring. And no, -MIRROR is not sufficient.

> (a) Issue a warning if the user specified name and real name don't
> match. This is a bit cheesy since occansionally it is ok to register
> the archive under a different name.

And confusing to a user following a recipe about mirroring. Having a
tutorial somewhere that says 'do X, and *ignore* the warning..

> (b) Remove the need to specify an archive name altogether
>
> This is harder because there is still a need to specify the name of an
> archive when you are setting up a mirror. So, I would need to add some
> new options to register-archive first, maybe something like:
>
> % tla register-archive --source \
>             http://regexps.srparish.net/{archives}/address@hidden
> registered archive: address@hidden
>
> I don't really know all the cases where you can/should register the
> archive under a 'fake' name, so I am not sure if this option really
> makes sense. Plus, removing the ability to force a name would probably
> break a few scripts here and there (a minor issue).

listing sources for mirroring, targets for mirroring, and in the future
possible archive stacks.

> (c) fix tla so that it works when you register an archive with a
>     different name than what the archive itself lists.

Aaron Bently has already done a lot of this. (may even all of it).

Rob