Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Some issues

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Some issues
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2004 15:45:18 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: Florian Weimer <address@hidden>

    > * Tom Lord:

    > > What is a "HEAD branch"?

    > > People often use the string "HEAD" to name the latest revision in a
    > > given line of development (i.e., a "version" in arch).

    > Yeah, but only that you can't be sure that you've got the right
    > version with all that archive cycling. *gd&r*

That's a job for higher-level abstractions, not for screwing with core
arch.

What _is_ the "right" version (development line)?   Isn't that a
political question?   Won't opinions vary?

    > > I've never heard of a "HEAD branch", though.

    > It's used by the FreeBSD folks, apprently.  After all, it's just a CVS
    > implementation detail that HEAD is not a branch. 8-)

No, these are very different concepts.  Perhaps you are saying that
FreeBSD sometimes uses the string "HEAD" the way that other people
sometimes use the string "mainline", or "stable", or "development", or
"experimental".