[Gnu-arch-users] [bug] useless error when library inode signature file i

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] [bug] useless error when library inode signature file is bogus
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 12:32:00 -0400

Somehow, I wound up with an inode signature file whose entire contents were address@hidden The error I got was:

arch: ill formated input
input source: ./{arch}/,,inode-sigs/address@hidden

I thought this was a reference to the project tree. It was actually a reference to the revision library. Took ages to sort that out.

Ideally, the message would be along the lines of:
corrupt library (invalid inode signature file)
    archive: address@hidden
    revision: engine--devel--7.6--patch-270
You should remove this revision from your library.

I think the whole thing would be simpler if errors were handled by returning 0 or similar. It's quite difficult to propogate useful error reporting state from libraries.c to relational.c through inode-sigs.c

Aaron

--
Aaron Bentley
Director of Technology