[Gnu-arch-users] Re: Arbitrary version names

From: Catalin Marinas
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Arbitrary version names
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 12:53:57 +0100

Robin Green <address@hidden> writes:
> No. Arbitrary version strings are not allowed because the purpose of
> arch versions is that they should have a well-defined total order
> for sorting. It is impossible to sort arbitrary version strings
> correctly.

Well, not completely arbitrary, but allow letters. You are right, this
would complicate the sorting mechanism (2.6.7 < 2.6.7-rc1 with the
current algorithm).

> If you want version strings that don't meet the arch pattern, simply
> use tags or configs.

What do you mean by tags? Changing the branch string? I am looking for
an easy (and meaningful) way to tell somebody to branch from a
2.6.7-arm1 version without using the --patch-x string. I don't think
configs can be used in this situation (only for extracting the archive
but not branching).

Regards,

Catalin