Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Inconsistency of Added-files and Removed-files

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Inconsistency of Added-files and Removed-files
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 08:31:12 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: Miles Bader <address@hidden>
    > Tom Lord <address@hidden> writes:
    > >     > Me too:  tla-file-log

    > > Yeah, but..... I'll bet dollars to donuts that you guys are basing
    > > that on file names rather than inventory ids.  Which means that your
    > > commands are (currently) faster than they'd otherwise be, but also
    > > probably not entirely accurate (or, with alternative spin, are
    > > accurate but compute something kind of weird).

    > Yes, though tla-file-log does track renames in the patch-logs,

Cool.  Does it get right the cases where containing directories have
been added, renamed, or removed?

I never (quite) put in such a command ("larch
touched-file-prerequists" came closest) because it seemed like a
redundent pain-in-the-ass to write the code to recover a revision's
tree inventory from a descendent or ancestor revision plus intervening
changesets.   I still think that "delta compressed revision libraries"
are the general solution in this area.