[Gnu-arch-users] Re: Inconsistency of Added-files and Removed-files

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Inconsistency of Added-files and Removed-files
Date: 18 Aug 2004 12:41:56 -0400

>>> I was planning on eventually writing a command that would examine patch
>>> logs to tell you in what revisions a file was modified (added,
>>> etc).  What do you think?
>> It might be a duplication of effort-- I've already got code that does that:
> Me too:  tla-file-log

This gives you the history of the file, but I think what would be even more
interesting is to be able to restrict it to the history of a set of
(contiguous) lines in the file.  I'd consider it to be a better tool than
`cvs annotate', since whenever I use `cvs annotate' what I really want is to
get the list of log messages (and corresponding diffs) that resulted in
lines N-M being the way they are.

`cvs annotate' gives me lots of unrelated info (info about lines I don't
care about), but it doesn't directly give me any log message or any diff,
and (more importantly) it often doesn't give me the info I need because it
says "these lines come from rev 1.54" where revision 1.54 just reindented
the lines, so I need to rerun `cvs annotate' on rev 1.54 to find the
previous change.

        Stefan