[Gnu-arch-users] conversion of bitkeeper archive to tla

From: Zenaan Harkness
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] conversion of bitkeeper archive to tla
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 11:36:27 +1000

Hi, I was evaluating bitkeeper for the last couple of weeks, and have 20
changesets, some pretty big, some very small, all nicely commented.

The company I currently work for develops proprietary software, and pays
my bills, and we have a Debian and a Windows developer. My understanding
was that arch/tla on Windows is just not yet there, at least given our
current work constraints (we're doing six day weeks). So that's why we
went for bitkeeper.

However, due to my stance on Free Software, freedom, and this comment
about bitkeeper:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnu-arch-users/2004-03/msg00933.html

My team is being denied a commercial license to use bitkeeper.
Apparently they fear people "feverishly developing a bitkeeper clone".

So, I'm mostly over the emotional affrontation and need to get my
bitkeeper tree into arch.

If it's not possible or easy, I'll just start a new arch tree - that'll
have to do. If it's possible to keep my comments, that would be nice.

I'm about to launch properly into the arch tutorial, so hopefully in a
week or two, I'll be in a position to manually merge my (currently
single, but set to increase) coworker's changes - he's the Windows guy,
I'm on Debian.

I've almost never manually used diff and patch; the last two weeks with
bitkeeper seemed very straightforward - I ran a stable tree, a work tree
and a quick fixes tree (although never quite got up to speed with
mid-development merging of changes from another branch, and got no
answer on this from Bitmover, due to their deliberations in the last
week over not selling us a license). My coworker had a clone of my
stable tree, and I of his. He is not currently working within bitkeeper,
so it's still very early days, thankfully.

Thanks in advance
Zenaan