Re: [Gnu-arch-users] old/ deleted files

From: Jan Hudec
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] old/ deleted files
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 08:42:52 +0200

On Tue, Aug 24, 2004 at 15:34:01 +1000, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> In my current project, which I'm just about to import into tla, I have
> an old/ directory, which is where I've been dumping everything that I
> delete, due to not needing.
>
> I keep them since I think I might occasionally want to grab such an old
> file, because I'll remember that I wrote something similar and removed
> it to old because I didn't need it anymore. Sometimes needs change...
>
> tla has an option to rm files.
>
> So what makes more sense from now on - just rm-ing and relying on tla to
> pull old stuff back out occasionally, or still keeping my old/ dir?

Tla also has an option to mv file, which makes the changeset moving
something to old/ rather short and trivial.  Unlike CVS where the file
had to be removed from the original place -- and ended up in the Attic/
-- and then added to old/.

To keep old/ directory is actualy simpler with arch than with CVS and
makes more sense. Especialy since you can keep the file on your own
devel branch, but delete it on the release branch.

                                                 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec
<address@hidden>