Re: [Gnu-arch-users] multiple committers, again

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] multiple committers, again
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 20:36:07 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: Andrew Suffield <address@hidden>

    > On Tue, Aug 24, 2004 at 03:57:32PM -0500, Robert Anderson wrote:
    > > If there was some kind of context that was detectable in a
    > > startup file that said "this is a tla ssh session" then I could
    > > set umask accordingly and that would work fine, and it wouldn't
    > > compromise every other use of that startup file.

    > I can think of half a dozen different ways to do it just offhand. You
    > aren't even trying.

Perhaps so but....  rwa (i think you might not be aware) is a fairly
heavy and serious early adopter, on behalf of a team of programmers.
So, please give him more indulgence than you display --- he's not your
average idiot.  He's an exceptional idiot, at least :-)

Also, let's be clear: tla wouldn't exist if it weren't for rwa.  In
the waning days of "larch" (the shell script version) he and I sat in
a tight feedback loop on IRC finding and nailing bugs in the nascent
larch replacement.  *He* initiated the testing infrastructure for arch
(though not the integration of that with the build process).  The
community as a whole "owes" him a useful number of hours (informally,
of course).  If we pay that off (so to speak) with trivial foo because
that's what he needs, well, that's just fine.  (it's *my* karmic debt
as much or more than the community's but, really, the public benefited
*big time* from his contribution so I don't mind reminding us all
publicly.)