Re: [Gnu-arch-users] multiple committers, again

From: James Blackwell
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] multiple committers, again
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 11:55:52 -0400

Robert Anderson wrote:
> According to the wiki, there are the following solutions for
> having multiple people commit to a shared archive:
>
> 0) set a umask which doesn't strip g+w in startup files
> 1) use a shared account
> 2) use ACLs
> 3) patch ssh
> 4) wrap ssh-server
>
> None of these solve the problem for me.  I don't believe my
> situation is that unusual.  I don't sysadmin my own machines,
> requests for changes to ssh or ssh-server would be laughed at, I
> don't have ACLs, shared accounts are expressly forbidden, and I
> am not going to change my startup file umask because one use case
> wants umask X while every other use case wants umask Y.

These are the ones that people have managed to come up with.

There's not very much we can do about it, because we don't have very
strong control of the underlying filesystem. We can change permissions
with some of the methods (sftp and ftp come to mind), but we can't
change the permissions with all of the methods (I don't believe we can
do this on webDAV).