Re: [Gnu-arch-users] BUG: extra diff arguments for "tla changes --diffs"

From: James Blackwell
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] BUG: extra diff arguments for "tla changes --diffs"]
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 14:12:54 -0400

Miles wrote:
> Please say _why_ it's a bad idea, i.e. give an example of how someone might
> be screwed by this.

Its a bad idea because that opens us up to the risk that people will
generate and start passing around changesets that aren't portable. I
think a changeset should be a changeset should be a changeset. *very*
predictable and stable.

> Changesets with `non standard' diff contents are _not_ invalid (unapplyable)
> changesets unless you use particular options that make the diff contents
> unusable by `patch' (e.g., a non-context, non-unified diff) -- and those
> options are uncommonly used; tla could even enforce it with not much problem.

All the same, I don't like opening up this path because it can (hence,
eventually WILL) open up a support problem of "why doesn't this
changeset work?"

> The main time you want to avoid any changeset non-standardness is when doing
> a commit, and since it always makes its own changesets, it can just be extra
> picky; there's no reason to make `changes' be similarly picky.

Shrug. I don't think its worth it.