Re: [Gnu-arch-users] the state of the union

From: Daniel Stone
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] the state of the union
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 14:21:08 -0700

On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 01:27:06PM -0400, James Blackwell wrote:
> Nobody needs to tell you that you've built up a huge amount of street
> cred. Sure, you're not perfect and you've made some mistakes on minor
> details. You've always been *dead on* in all major issues but one: You
> consistantly overestimate how much effort people are willing to expend
> to learn how to do things the "arch way".

Quite possibly exemplified by arch's (tla's?) New World Order-ism; I
appreciate all the benefits that arch/tla bring me, but occasionally, I
want to be able to commit from within my build tree. Not being able to
do this really, really bites.

Some bits of arch/tla smack of djbism (no comment on Tom personally,
just the software): in order to use qmail, and have everything work, you
needed daemontools, ucspi-tcp, multilog, and a whole variety of
reinvented crap. Granted, some things were useful, but *one* init system
is good enough for me, thankyouverymuch.

Sometimes, I'd love to just be able to use arch/tla, and not have to
subscribe to the NWO view.

Anyway, back to the peanut gallery to me; just some letting-off of steam
from someone who would hate arch/tla if it weren't so damn good.

:) d

--
Daniel Stone                                              <address@hidden>
"The programs are documented fully by _The Rise and Fall of a Fooish Bar_,