Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Tla spork

From: Andrew Suffield
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Tla spork
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 20:53:06 +0100

On Fri, Aug 27, 2004 at 09:28:26PM +0200, Robin Farine wrote:
> On Friday 27 August 2004 20.26, Andrew Suffield wrote:
>
> > Haskell doesn't accept the notion of 'data'. There is only
> > program. The implications should be obvious.
>
> What you mean by "Haskell doesn't accept the notion of 'data'" is
> not clear to me, which naturally does not help in making the
> implications obvious.

There is no data. It's a pure functional language. The number 1 is a
null-ary function of type Int, which returns value 1.

Therefore, anything you can think of as an operation on data can
obviously be performed on functions - because in Haskell, the only
thing you can *do* is to operate on functions. Values are the things
they return.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |