[Gnu-arch-users] Re: BUG: extra diff arguments for "tla changes --diffs"

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: BUG: extra diff arguments for "tla changes --diffs"]
Date: 27 Aug 2004 17:46:42 -0400

>> The main reason people want options
>> in `tla changes' is for viewing.

> Well, if it's just for viewing, I don't care.  You've been arguing that it's
> useful to be able to apply non-standard changesets, though.  If that's true,
> people might push to be able to commit non-standard changesets also.

Here's how things went, AFAIR:
- someone asked for diff options in `tla changes' (not the first such
  request, by far).
- someone else said "omygod, no way, this will mean changesets with
  non-standard diff content, all hell will break lose".
- Miles and I said "no biggie, it's harmless and might even be useful".

Nowhere did anyone request non-standard difs in archive changesets.
Of course, maybe at some point someone will ask for it, but I see evidence
that it will happen, and no good reason why accepting diff-options for
`changes' should lead to accepting diff options for `commit'

        Stefan