[Gnu-arch-users] Build System links/ recommendations

From: Zenaan Harkness
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Build System links/ recommendations
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 06:41:39 +1000

Since I only came on the list about 8000 messages ago (which actually
isn't that long really), and since James recently mentioned about
"getting ones build system right", is there a link that people get
pointed at to describe "the right build system"?

I've come across fastdep in the past, going so far as to package it for
Debian (although I was/am not particularly up to speed on C/C++
development (and not yet a DD), and Robert Lemmen threw it up there,
which is a good thing, since that means it gets/got into sarge for the
next release).

Fastdep (now in Debian sid), pointed me to the paper Recursive Make
Considered Harmful:
http://www.pcug.org.au/~millerp/rmch/recu-make-cons-harm.html

Fastdep: http://www.irule.be/bvh/c++/make.html

I actually came across fastdep because I spent some time trying to
create a build system for C++ (while I was learning a little last
year between jobs), that was comparable to Java - essentially,
namespaces corresponding to Java "packages", which also correspond
to directories. In Java, it is nicely scalable, and the Java compiler
makes it all Just Work (TM).

Any pointers appreciated...

tia
zenaan

--
Zenaan Harkness - Homepage: http://www.soulsound.net/
Please respect the confidentiality of this email as sensibly warranted.