Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Inexact patching and directory renames

From: David Allouche
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Inexact patching and directory renames
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 12:02:27 +0200

On Mon, 2004-08-09 at 09:15 -0400, Aaron Bentley wrote:
> For compatibility with old archives, it would make sense to support
> falling back to pathnames when no parent directory is available.  This
> also makes sense because the tree root directory has no inventory ID.
>
> The problem with having these two behavours is that old changesets
> occasionally store the parent id by coincidence.  In order to
> distinguish between them, it might be necessary to add a changeset
> version identifier.
>
> Current versions of tla seem to ignore extra directory info, so there
> would be minimal breakage.

Together with mandating explicit ID for the tree-root (which could be
created by init-tree) that seems a perfectly sane change.

Adding a changeset version identifier seems a good idea too, since
people may have changesets stored in other places than archives
(mailboxes, working directories, etc.).

Care to add this on the wiki?
http://wiki.gnuarch.org/moin.cgi/Archive_20Format_203_20Wishlist
Or in whatever place we can keep this kind of suggestion until the taboo
on bumping the archive version is raised.

But then, is that really necessary for me to say it? 99% of the time one
can just append "ddaa agrees" to any of your posts and be correct.

--
                                                            -- ddaa