Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Upcoming release of 1.2.2rc1

From: James Blackwell
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Upcoming release of 1.2.2rc1
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 15:09:58 -0400

> This is crazy.  There is a bug in released version that prevents
> people from _checking out their code_ from the archive, in a case
> that will happen quite frequently on a code base of any
> appreciable size.
>
> 1.2.1 needs an emergency patch and re-release, if you want people
> to take it seriously as a piece of software ready for anything
> but the most casual experimentation.

Pardon? The 1.2.1 I released and signed at
http://release.gnuarch.org/tla-1.2/1.2.1/ doesn't have this "problem."

Just so that you understand where we are, tla panicing is *not* the bug.
The patch just makes apparent a a well hidden, but serious id corruption
bug thats been happening for a long while now, probably since tla inception.

Regarding pushing the release cycle harder -- That it is a mistake. With
the rc coming out in 2 or 3 days, the only place steal time from is the
rc process, which is a necessary testing time to make sure these sorts
of things don't sneak in in the first place. If you can't wait, either
the bug.

So a lot of people are being constructive, trying to figure out a safe,
consistant way to make the bug go away with as little pain for you as
possible. There's several possible solutions on the table, but they all
have negative consequences. Even in the best case scenarios, we're
going to have to subject you to an add/delete pair for every file with a
corrupted id.

This isn't because the ids were corrupted in 1.2.1. They've been
corrupted all along.

Regards,
James