Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Build System links/ recommendations

From: Mr Zenaan Harkness
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Build System links/ recommendations
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2004 08:53:12 +1000

On Sun, 2004-09-05 at 02:45, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 03, 2004 at 06:28:44PM -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > > The node in info for make is called "Prerequisite Types":
> > > Top -> Rules -> Prerequisite Types
> >
> > Hmm... I don't have it.
> > I'm using GNU make 3.79, I'm guessing it's not the latest (came with
> > redhat-9.3 I believe).
> >
> > So your solution relies not just on GNU extensions, but on recent
> > GNU extensions.  Hmmm....
>
> If you consider 2002 to be "recent". Supporting development
> workstations older than that is a waste of time, and build systems
> don't need this at all.

Well that's interesting, so are, or rather were, there any alternatives
that _could_ be made to do recursive make The Right Way, back in 1997,
when Peter Miller's "Recursive Make Considered Harmful" was actually
written?

I do get your point though - a mechanism deficiency doesn't make the
mechanism faulty, which is what makes the paper lacking in "research".
So we can at least say that, for its day, it provided a practical
solution to an otherwise difficult and widespread problem?