Re: [Gnu-arch-users] s/GMT/UTC/

From: Cameron Patrick
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] s/GMT/UTC/
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 20:27:24 +0800

Andrew Suffield wrote:

> This argument resoundingly defeats "use UTC because it's more
> accurate"

Non-sequitur -- I was never making that argument.

I don't particularly care which system is used -- my point was that
most of the time it doesn't matter.  However, for measuring short time
spans, UTC seconds /are/ more useful than GMT seconds.  At least they
have a determinate length!  As you have pointed out, the cost of this
is having a variable (and indeterminate in advance) number of seconds
in each minute, hour, day or year.

I don't see how anything can solve these problems while retaining some
correspondence between "day" and "rotation of the Earth", short of
somehow maintaining the periods of the Earth's rotation and revolution
as constants -- and for the moment that's achievable only in the realm
of science fiction.

Cameron.