Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: FAI patches and feedback

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: FAI patches and feedback
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2004 14:01:53 -0400

David Allouche wrote:
How would you call it? There is already a "fai export" command.

Well, that's the rub, isn't it? The shell behaviour is meant to be a fallthrough, not the main behaviour.

There are other annoying behaviours caused by not-quite-sh behaviour.

Sure. The question is how far I should go in emulating sh. Too little, and it's annying to use. Too much, and I'm duplicating effort.

For example "help | grep foo" is not correctly parsed as a pipe,

When I want to pipe within fai, I just prefix the command with 'fai'. But this also suggests that we need an apropos command.

and you
cannot no longer use the kind of ugly one-liners you could use in tlash,
for example:

        mirrorv `upstream` ; library-add `upstream` ; missing-from
        $(latest-revision `upstream`)

Since mirrorv isn't a Fai command, I'd expect that to fall through to the shell.

where "upstream" read the contents of the `tree-root`/{arch}/+upstream
file used by the pqm submission script. That one line was useful to
monitor the application of a merge request.

If it's something you do at all often, you can make it an external command. It looks a lot like revisions --missing-from, too.

Probably the policy is that in fai you should not have to write one-
liners... I'm not convinced that is a good policy. Some kind of non-
trivial command language is useful. And please, not something with
bracketitis :)

I'll think about it. My main focus is on avoiding those cases in the first place.

I will look more at the internal design and FAI and RAW before making my
mind.

The Doxygen documentation is obsolete. Epydoc is the replacement. For user-level stuff, there's the README and the web site:
http://sourcecontrol.net/~abentley/fai/

I also tried to generate the epydoc documentation but had trouble with
that too. It refused to import most python files in the local directory
complaining they were not python modules. I'll write the makefile if I
manage better the next time.

Odd.  I'll look into that.

Aaron

--