Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: [BUG] tla dosen't handle '--' as end of option

From: Adrian Irving-Beer
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: [BUG] tla dosen't handle '--' as end of option argument
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 16:21:11 -0400

On Wed, Sep 15, 2004 at 12:10:10PM -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:

> > Ahh, so as I understand it, you're arguing that
>
> >         posix-tla commit <version> <files>
>
> > is compatible with
>
> >         posix-tla commit <files>
>
> OK, I'm completely lost: I see no `--' in your example.

But that's my point.  This is a hypothetical 'posix-tla', not 'tla'.

POSIX '--' is only required if you need to specify non-option
arguments that start with a '-'.

tla '--' is always required if you want to specify files.

By leaving out '--' in my example, I'm pointing out that by following
the POSIX spec, I can produce something incompatible with the tla spec.

As far as I can tell, they seem to be mutually contradictory specs.
That's the source of my confusion regarding your statement that they
were 'compatible in practice' (which I still don't really understand).