Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Manners

From: James Blackwell
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Manners
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 19:18:57 -0400

Pierce Wetter wrote:
>    You're both wrong. Some features just "make sense" in a software
> product, some don't. Browsers that don't have a local cache really
> suck to use, so they all have them.
>
>   On the other hand, I prefer FireFox to Mozilla, because all the
> "extra" stuff in Mozilla is annoying.

I'm a firefox user myself, for similiar reasons. I *definitely* agree
with you. Features for the sake of features is the wrong way to go.
However, features that are directly related, that certainly have a
positive benefit on users, is the way to go.

This is one of those cases, where I think a feature that has been
proposed that will do a pretty good job of making the life of users a
lot better. Sure, there's some details to hammer out, but on the whole I
think its a pretty good idea.

Its not something silly like embedding a lisp virtual machine into a
revision control system. ;)

>   Our job as software engineers to to decide what makes sense and what
> doesn't. Its a valid point that a general purpose cache might
> be less useful then a domain specific cache for tla. Many tla users
> have requested a cache, so there's obviously some desire there.

Aye.

>   The issue with caching is never filling the cache, that's easy, its
> flushing the cache. So a tla-specific cache could intelligently flush
> in a way that a general purpose one couldn't.

Archives are generally pretty small. I have about 175 archives that take
up a grand total of 2 gigabytes of space. However, I'm kind of special
to have that many archives. So I figure most users will probably have a
grand total of perhaps 20 archives at about 20 megs each. So I'd be
comfortable if Aaron's code *never* pruned.

Regarding the rest of your post, yeah. Its all been a sticky situation
all around, but I'm trying to keep Tom as involved as involved in the
development process as possible.