Re: [Gnu-arch-users] tla inventory

From: David Allouche
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] tla inventory
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 19:36:27 +0200

On Sat, 2004-09-18 at 08:49 +1000, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-09-18 at 02:15, David Allouche wrote:
> > On Fri, 2004-09-17 at 13:29 +1000, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
>
> Ahah! it seems that inventory's -p and -s options are at least partially
> mutually exclusive.

When inventory outputs several classifications, it also outputs a
classification prefix. If the prefix annoys you, can remove it with the
"cut" utility.

> A little testing throws up this, again, from my build/ output dir, the
> contents of which is not arch controlled:

AFAIK, inventory on an non-arch controlled directory is an error. Do not
expect to get sane results.

Maybe the error should be reported, or maybe I do not understand
inventory well enough. But then it's another discussion.

> My point is, in all cases, I can't get the directory "media" to be
> included in the output of inventory. When I create a tar/jar/zip file,
> it should have that directory, as well as its contents, and so I am
> forced to manually include that parent file on the right hand side eg:

Please read a message in its entirety before starting to answer it.

> > You could do it in several steps:
> >
> > 1. Export your _whole_ tree using something like
> >
> >         tla inventory --whatever --nested | \
> >           cpio --pass-through --link --make-directories ../export-stuff
>
> A symlink farm. Thanks for the tip. I haven't before seen a command that
> could do it so cleanly - that's a useful thing to know.

That does hard links.

> > 2. Prepare the tarball
> >
> >         cd ../export-stuff
> >         mv build javafrob-1.0
> >         find -follow javafrob-1.0 | tar cTzf - javafrob-1.0.tar.gz
> >
> > Or something like that.
> >
> > Anyway, your approach seems broken because if "--whatever" is source,
> > then you'll probably miss your build files (which _should_ not be
> > source) and if it is --precious or something else like that you will be
> > likely to get random crap precious files as well.
>
> It's my build/ directory, so I'm only building/ linking stuff in there
> that I need for my tar balls.

You could use two runs of cpio, one to link the source stuff (with tla
inventory) and another just to link the build/ dir.

--
                                                            -- ddaa