Re: [Gnu-arch-users] .listing files

From: Jan Hudec
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] .listing files
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 12:56:55 +0200

On Mon, Sep 20, 2004 at 06:10:21 -0400, James Blackwell wrote:
> Yann wrote:
> > We could add "signed .listing" files and rely only on them.
> >
> > But this will create be a new archive format :/
>
> I didn't look at it yet (I'm supposed to be sleeping, after all), but I
> was wondering about possibly chucking a .listing md5sum into the
> checksum file.

That's an impossibility :-(. The .listing files exist in archive,
category, branch and version, but there are no respective checksum
files.

That's also a reason why the .listing files are not updated atomicaly
with commit. There is no way how the same rename that installs the
revision would install the .listing file.

Note: It is posible to generate the .listing files on the fly with a CGI
script. I was doing from the begining. The only problem is, that in
apache2 it no longer works with <Files>, only with <Location> (because
apache2 checks the file existence before it checks the handlers) and
<Location> can only be specified in global config. That can however be
workaround by: having tla generate the .listing files, so they exist and
apache reads the directive and actualy servers them by a script, so
archive-fixup is never needed...

                                                 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec
<address@hidden>