Re: [Gnu-arch-users] .listing files

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] .listing files
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 10:36:53 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: address@hidden (James Blackwell)

    > So how about instead, we add the following to tla make-archive --help:

    > To serve this archive via HTTP, use the -l option after having read
    > the arch documentation about the potential risks of listing files (Note:
    > WebDAV, ftp and sftp do not require -l)

I wouldn't refer to the documentation there, yet, until the docs
include a passage to be specifically referenced.

Perhaps simply something like:

     Be aware that .listing files created by arch are a convenience
     feature for use with simple HTTP setups.   Because of limitations
     in how they can be implemented, users of .listing files may need
     to run the `archive-fixup' command from time to time and
     administrators of mission-critical systems should understand
     the security and robustness issues of using them.