[Gnu-arch-users] Re: BUG: feature request: 'tla chmod' which 'touch'es f

From: Mark Stosberg
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: BUG: feature request: 'tla chmod' which 'touch'es files
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 01:34:12 +0000 (UTC)

On 2004-09-24, Zenaan Harkness <address@hidden> wrote:

> Trying to create a shared revlib when initial permissions were not set
> up as group +rw(x) has been a long, messy and at times quite frustrating
> experience for me.
>
> Too many times I've been bitten by chmod not 'touch'ing the
> corresponding file, and therefore not propagating the perms change into
> the commit.
>
> A function like the following would probably do the trick:
>
> tla-chmod
> {
>       chmod $@
>       touch $@
> }

I don't think this adds much value to 'tla' as the 100th-and-something
sub-command. It does nothing tla-specific. It sounds like either some
other 'tla' command should be chmod'ing and touch'ing files
automatically, or you could use a shell alias for 'chmod-n-touch'.

It does seem like a reasonable idea for 'chmod' to 'touch' a file if you
want it to, so perhaps patching chmod with "--touch" flag could even
make sense.

        Mark

--
http://mark.stosberg.com/