Re: [Gnu-arch-users] "Newbie-ized help"

From: James Blackwell
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] "Newbie-ized help"
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 09:33:54 -0400

> James Blackwell wrote:
>> Ok. Discuss.
>
> 94 lines is still a heck of a lot of help output. Some of the ones

If you can do a better job, patches welcome. :)

Btw, its down to 89 now, which is a 51% reduction from the original.

> you've left in are aliases (which shouldn't be included in "newbie"
> help) and some of them are what I'd consider esoteric
> (e.g. explicit-default -- after reading the help on it, I'm still not
> sure what it does or why I'd ever want to use it).

Since I wrote that, I've hidden:
  move
  add
  delete
  explicit-default

> Why show both abrowse and rbrowse in the "newbie" help?  I've only
> ever used abrowse, but from reading this list it seems that rbrowse
> can do a superset of what abrowse can.  Also, the current organisation
> of sub-headings etc seem kind of arbitrary, at least to a newcomer.

Because rbrowse is a bit more powerful, but is _to this day_ missing
some basic functionality. It also doesn't feel as nice when working with
remote archives.

> How about splitting them by "task"?
>
> tla help -> a short introduction, points to other help
> tla help starting -> my-id, my-revision-library, library-config
>                      make-archive, my-default-archive,
>                      register-archive, archives

How many hours do you estimate it would take to change the current
codebase over to doing what you request?

Also, how do you think this will be received by people that are looking
for a command name, but can't remember what section its in? (i.e. gdb
help disease)