[Gnu-arch-users] tag --seal - where does version-0 go?

From: Matthew Palmer
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] tag --seal - where does version-0 go?
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 15:42:50 +1000

In the help for tag, it states:

--seal          create a version-0 revision

But it doesn't say which tree gets that version-0 revision.  Initially, I
thought that it'd be more logical to put it on the source-revision --
essentially saying "this branch stops *here*, and we'll continue hacking
over there", which is what I want to do -- but it wouldn't be overly useful
if you specified a source-revision that wasn't at the "end" of the version
you were specifying, and generally could get very messy.

Another point in favour of the above interpretation is that --fix creating a
versionfix-1 revision on a new branch doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

The other interpretation is that the version-0 goes in as a replacement for
or immediately after the base-0 in the tag-version.  This would more sense
in terms of the issues given above, but I'm not sure about the applications
you would use it for -- presumably tags into a special branch marking
"checkpoints" in development like releases and such.

Whichever way it actually works, I'd suggest modifying the documentation a
bit to say where the version-0 gets created, so something like "create a
version-0 revision in the source-revision" or "create a version-0 revision
in the tag-version".

Thanks,
- Matt