[Gnu-arch-users] Re: "reply all" etiquette: reply-all vs. reply'ing to l

From: Miles Bader
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: "reply all" etiquette: reply-all vs. reply'ing to list
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 09:57:22 +0900

Nikolai Weibull <address@hidden> writes:
> * Miles Bader <address@hidden> [Sep 27, 2004 19:51]:
>> You (and jblack) should add a "Mail-Followup-To:" header, which many
>> mailers will respect when doing "reply-to-all".  E.g.:

> I thought that Mail-Followup-To wasn't part of any "standard" yet

It's not as far as I know, but it's widely implemented, so it's pretty
much a de-facto standard these days, especially among the more clueful
MUAs out there like Gnus and Mutt (which I'm sure we all use :-).

I'm sure if there were an adequate "official" replacement, that would be
happily supported too, but there's not.

> and was frowned upon by many.

I think this is not true.  It's no doubt frowned upon by _some_, but
largely it seems to be well-liked by the clueful.

It's clear that you can't _rely_ on it as your only solution, becuase
many people run horribly broken MUAs, so it's a good idea to have other
solutions in place as well, e.g., duplicate suppression.  However,
M-F-T:  seems to have a useful part in keeping everything flowing smoothly.

[I seem to recall some nuances to the interaction of M-F-T: with
messages addressed to multiple mailing-lists -- you might check the
g-a-u archives for the last flamewar we had on this subject.]

> Why does this list seem to add tabs in the subject line?  I'm guessing
> this is due to some kind of mailing list header munging for wrapping
> long header lines gone bad?

I guess because of the added "[gnu-arch-users] " tag (which I hate, but
many people seem to love [presumably those who put all their mail in one
huge folder]).

-Miles
--
Occam's razor split hairs so well, I bought the whole argument!