Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: darcs vs tla

From: John A Meinel
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: darcs vs tla
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 18:28:07 -0600

Alexey N. Solofnenko wrote:
I tried native Windows and Cygwin TLA some time ago and they both failed with long path limitation. Also native Windows TLA crashed while trying to download a big repository from internet. **Maybe** these problems are already fixed, but there is no official Windows TLA build. Even more, it looks like Windows support is distributed between several third-party repositories and none of them seem finished.

Now, Windows does support long files names. It is even possible to call Win32 functions from Cygwin programs. I think, unless Windows patches are merged into main repository, Windows support will never be stabilized enough to be really usable. (Personally I think TLA relies too much on GNU command line tools that were not supported on Windows very well).

- Alexey.

Well, I'm specifically trying to get my branch merged into mainline. Windows supports long filenames, but Visual Studio, Explorer, Notepad, Wordpad, GVim, SciTE, and lots of other programs do not. In fact, I haven't found a single program that does support it yet.

My work should get 90% of the way there. Right now I depend on cygwin, because I use it, and it's no big deal.

Probably the code would compile on Msys/Mingw. I haven't tried. See my other email for the dependencies, it really isn't all that great.

You are right, tla's windows support isn't top notch. It may not be where darcs is at. (Though I just tried darcs and after "darcs get; darcs diff" it told me every line of every file had changed because of line ending problems.) So darcs isn't 100% there yet either.

John
=:->