[Gnu-arch-users] Re: tla register-archive -M

From: Anand Kumria
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tla register-archive -M
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 03:57:03 +1100

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 10:36:11 -0600, John A Meinel wrote:

> Anand Kumria wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Typically Arch archives are specified by a pair of co-ordinates (archive
>> name, URL).  I'm seeing more and more Arch URLs (which is good) but the
>> not the archive name so much.
>>
>> That is only a problem if you tend to mirror a lot (as I do).  Currently
>> I register the archive to determine it's name, de-register it and then
>> re-register is as archive-SOURCE
>>
>> Here is a quick patch to register-archive which adds '-M' (similiar to
>> tla make-archive's -M) which registers Arch URLs as SOURCE.
>>
>> You can grab the patch from the Arch co-ordinates:
>>
>> address@hidden/tla--princess--0
>> http://www.progsoc.org/wildfire/arch/arch
>>
>> As this is my first attempt at contributing do let me know if I've done
>> anything wrong or incorrect.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Anand
>
> Well, I'm guessing you don't to use the -M flag. -M means "--mirror-from".
> Probably something more like "--source" or something like that would be
> fine.

I just wanted to keep whatever muscle memory you might have learnt by
using the same option letter.

> Also, I tried to get to your web-page, but I got a Request Not Found
> error.

Opps.

> Eventually I figured out that you need a ~ before your username.
> http://www.progsoc.uts.edu.au/~wildfire/arch/arch/
>
> Also, tradition says to use your archive name as part of the url, so it
> makes it more obvious. That would change your archive to
> http://www.progsoc.uts.edu.au/~wildfire/arch/address@hidden/

I'm aware of the convention but things were setup with the website
prior to me knowing of it and I'm not in a position to modify it now.

That said, plenty of people aren't that concerned with it:

    http://xsteve.nit.at/tla
    http://people.initd.org/robertc/arch/public/
    http://www.mega-nerd.com/Arch/2004

So I'd guess that not many people are aware of the convention at the moment.

> I'll try to look at it, though.
>
> But if you are contributing, you should double check your url's. :)

My apologies, I will in future.

Thanks,
Anand

--