[Gnu-arch-users] Splitting a project to config based

From: Milan Cvetkovic
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Splitting a project to config based
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 10:26:21 -0500

Hi,

What is the best way of splitting a non-config project into a project with based on TLA config files.

I would like to preserve as much history as possible.

Suppose I have a big project BASE which I want to split into BCHILD and BLIB, each containing significant portion of files from B, say 50% each.

I would create a new project CFG with config files.

Should I tag BCHILD and BLIB of BASE, and remove unneeded files in each?

Or should I tag BCHILD of BASE, since it is the real child of BASE, and create a separate BLIB project with same .arch-id files, as they used to be in BASE?

What is the benefit of one approch over the other?

Thanks, Milan.