Re: [Gnu-arch-users] star-merge: unable to merge unrelated trees

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] star-merge: unable to merge unrelated trees
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 23:10:11 -0500

Zenaan Harkness wrote:

if I do the following as user zen, I get an error:

$ tla get $parthat t
$ cd t

$ tla star-merge --three-way $dmitriat

It looks like $parthat has no patchlogs for $dmitriat. You would expect this to happen at first.

You could probably make this work by using "tla star-merge --reference $archat --three-way $dmitriat"

However, if I do the following, it works just fine:

$ tla get $archat t
$ cd t

$ tla star-merge --three-way $parthat

$ tla star-merge --three-way $dmitriat

I assume these work because $parthat and $dmitriat have patchlogs for $archat.

Is this to be expected?

Yes. By default, star-merge will only look for ancestors in the current tree's VERSION and the specified revision's version. If neither tree has a patchlog for the other's version, it won't work.

It's worth noting that there are alternative approaches to selecting a merge ancestor in Fai and the latest revisions of baz. Either would probably handle your case without requiring a --reference parameter.

Has something gone wrong in our archives?

No.

Aaron